Vacation and travel experiences around the world.

Latest topics
» Southeast Asia
Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:58 am by brianlao

» Bed and Breakfasts
Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:46 pm by brianlao

» Ice Hotel of Quebec
Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:09 pm by lightfootfan

» My Dear Friend and Admin ISH
Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:13 am by Glad E Olah

» Love to fly
Mon May 20, 2013 3:03 am by lightfootfan

» Weather Links
Sat May 05, 2012 3:28 pm by Glad E Olah

» Train Mode
Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:03 pm by lightfootfan

» Our trip to Ireland August 2010
Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:46 pm by Glad E Olah

» Cocoa Beach Florida 2010
Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:48 pm by Glad E Olah

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

You are not connected. Please login or register

Travel Tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Travel Tips on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:07 pm

flamingo

This is good advice whether you fly or drive.

Back in 1999, after a run-of-the-mill road trip and plane flight, I was diagnosed with a deep vein thrombosis or DVT – essentially a blood clot – in my lower leg.

You don’t hear much about the risk of travel-related clots here in the United States. In Britain, though, DVTs are known as Long Haul syndrom, and travelers are informed about the possiblities of blood clots forming on extensive plane trips.

I didn’t know I had a clot; it felt more like a muscle cramp. But it put me in the hospital for more than 10 days, where I had a painful heparin drip and a six-month regimen of blood thinners. Here’s what you can do so a clot doesn’t happen to you:

1. Stop the car and walk often. There’s no substitute to moving around so blood doesn’t pool in your legs.

3. If you can, get up and stretch your legs when flying. Failing that, try to get an exit row so you have room to move your legs around. That’s what keeps the blood from pooling. If flight rules prohibit you from getting up, try to move your legs around with some easy foot and leg exercises.

3. Take a baby aspirin when traveling. My medical history requires me to take a baby aspirin every day. In general, aspirin helps with vascular and cardio health, so it’s not a bad idea to take it, even if you’re not on the road.

4. Bring compression stockings for the plane – and wear them. While they aren’t fashionable, they do increase the blood flow to your legs. Compression stockings are available at stores such as Target and Wal-Mart, or even drug stores such as Rite Aid and CVS.

5. Guzzle water when traveling. Dehydration can lead to blood thickening, which increases your clot risk. And if you drink enough water, you won’t have to remind yourself to walk around, as you’ll be getting up to use the bathroom

by Chris Gray Faust on March 14, 2010

2 Re: Travel Tips on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:31 am

BobK

We like to hike and typically that means several days stay. We like to control what we eat so we look for places that offer small kitchens, outside BBQ's. Add to that places that have super markets where we can get fresh fruits & veggies and we are pretty happy. We look for the best in accomodations but are aware that even the best have the potential for unwanted things like bed bugs.

We pack our own bed sheets and blankets in separate luggage along with a portable micro wave, grill, and counter top mini oven. Before bringing any luggage into a room I check the obvious places for bed bugs and any other undesireable pests.

Haven't found any yet but taking small precautions for our own well being is worth it to us.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum