Vacation and travel experiences around the world.

Latest topics
» Southeast Asia
Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:58 am by brianlao

» Bed and Breakfasts
Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:46 pm by brianlao

» Ice Hotel of Quebec
Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:09 pm by lightfootfan

» My Dear Friend and Admin ISH
Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:13 am by Glad E Olah

» Love to fly
Mon May 20, 2013 3:03 am by lightfootfan

» Weather Links
Sat May 05, 2012 3:28 pm by Glad E Olah

» Train Mode
Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:03 pm by lightfootfan

» Our trip to Ireland August 2010
Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:46 pm by Glad E Olah

» Cocoa Beach Florida 2010
Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:48 pm by Glad E Olah

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

You are not connected. Please login or register

National Parks

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 National Parks on Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:21 pm

BobK

We've traveled off shore as much as we wanted to. We tried but we never quite got into being comfortable as tourists.

I think it had more to do with our wanting to hike, bike, walk, & eat what we like to eat rather than put up with what was available. Yes we know there are places dedicated to that type of vacationing, but why travel to those places to do the same things we can do right here in our country.

Take Yellowstone for example. How many know that Old Faithful can be seen from a knoll about 1/2 mile away? Most sit in front of the Inn on the benches. Once on the knoll there are trails thru the hillsides to see all kinds of geysures up close. Or on the eastern side there is a place called the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. An awesome view once you decend the steel steps that are attached to the sheer rock wall.

Even something as simple on the western entrance is buying a self designed picnic lunch at a small grocery store. Then having a picnic close enough to watch bison grazing.

We found that with careful planning we can sleep, eat, and enjoy our National Parks far more than any place we've ever been.

2 Re: National Parks on Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 pm

lightfootfan

The only National park I've been to is the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We went there on a science trip in high school, and the girls' tent was slashed open by a bear.

3 Re: National Parks on Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Glad E Olah

I have been to the Smokey Mts too. Beautiful LFF. Hope none of the girls were hurt from the bear.

I would love to visit Yellowstone Park BobK. I imagine it is a beautiful place also.

4 Re: National Parks on Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:56 pm

lightfootfan

None of the girls were hurt, but they had to spend the rest of the night in the rest room.
A friend of mine volunteered this summer at Yosimite park.

5 Re: National Parks on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:58 pm

BobK

We spent a few days in Tn. We took the loop around Cade's Cove. Getting out to see black bears with cubs, & getting to walk inside the old buildings was a treat. Just discovering how primitive life must have been back then made all the modern conveniences all the better.

On the exit there was the chance to go tubing on the river, so we did.We never miss the chance to experience what is in the local area.

About Bears. That is a story all by itself when we spent a week at Yosemite.

6 Re: National Parks on Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:28 am

lightfootfan

BobK wrote:

About Bears. That is a story all by itself when we spent a week at Yosemite.

I've heard about the bears out there, Bob.

7 Re: National Parks on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:01 pm

lightfootfan

Actually, I just saw an article in AARP about National Parks, and saw that the Great Smokies have an average of 2 black bears per square mile, and that's the most of any of our National Parks.

8 Re: National Parks on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:03 pm

BobK

lightfootfan wrote:Actually, I just saw an article in AARP about National Parks, and saw that the Great Smokies have an average of 2 black bears per square mile, and that's the most of any of our National Parks.

When we were at Cade's Cove we saw a mother black bear with two cubs. We stayed back but some more adventurous people thought it would be a great opportunity to get photos up close. Amazing how fast people can run when they think they might become bear food. Call me lazy but I firmly believe that a telephoto lense works far better than running.

9 Re: National Parks on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:18 pm

BobK

That picture was taken on the return down from hiking to the top of Chilnuloa Falls trail at Yosemite. It's about 4 & 1/2 miles to the top and the rise isn't to difficult. It got pretty warm on the way back down so cooling my feet in the mountain stream was a great relief.

Really tiring was the hike to the redwoods along the Mariposa trail. As I remember it to be about 20 miles round trip. For that one we packed some food & lots of water. Later when we got back late we were watching a documentary about Yosemite & the ability of the grizzly bears to smell food from miles away. It was then that I realized I could have been a meals on hiking boots for bears. We timed our hikes accordingly after that.

We rented a fully equipped cabin close to the Chilnuloa Falls trail. We spent a week there hiking as many trails as possible. The cabin is on Yosemite Park land, but a need to know is that food supplies should be brought with you because the closest store is about 30 miles away or 60 miles round trip.

10 Re: National Parks on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:57 am

flamingo

BobK, we also like to visit the National Parks. However, we are not as adventurous as you with the hiking and such. We take the tours that is offered by the Parks and yes, we stay in the Lodge/Motel rooms in the parks. There are a few Parks we have not visited yet but we have seem most of the well known Parks. Denali,Yellowstone,Yosemite,Zion,Bryce Canyon Rocky Mountain,Smoky Mountain,and more that I can't recall right now.I like to hear of trips taken by others. Gives us ideas....except for the bears.

Here is a list of the National Parks in the USA

11 Re: National Parks on Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:27 pm

BobK

We've visited quite a few on the list.Funny I didn't see The Arches listed. That is one of our favorite's to visit. Lots to do in Moab,Utah once most of the Arches have been viewed. Renting a condo in Moab makes life so much easier.

The Haleakala Park on Maui is nice but isn't really spectacular. We rented a mustang convertible while there and did some what could best be described as 4 wheeling when we toured the road system. Crossing over a stream in the road that was washed out and about 1 foot deep wasn't the smartest move, but was better than turning around & retracing where we had just come from. About 12 to 15 miles after that we came across a place to ride horses. That was a nice experience.

The other memorable experience was the sunrise bike ride down the east side to the volcano. Getting to the transportation at 3:30 a/m wasn't the most fun but well worth it.

Really funny or at least I think it is funny was a day later after the horse back ride & bike ride we were having dinner. My wife excused herself to use the ladies room. When she was reseated the waiter looked at me and smiled, looked at my wife smiled & asked if we were newly weds. My wife said no why do you ask? The waiter somewhat embarrassed said he just thought we might be.

After the waiter took our order & left my wife looked at me and asked why the waiter would think we were newly weds.

I told my wife, it's one of two things. Because many newly weds spend their honeymoon on Maui or the way she walked when returning from the rest room.

I'm glad my wife has a sense of humor.

12 Re: National Parks on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Glad E Olah

What a lovely story BobK.

13 Re: National Parks on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:02 pm

lightfootfan

Ho! Ho!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum